Inquiry as an approach to teaching and learning has long been regarded as an effective way not only to engage students in their learning but to challenge them to think deeply and apply skills and understandings to new contexts. Many of us like the idea of an inquiry approach but feel less confident with how to actually use it effectively in the classroom. This workshop is designed for teachers who are newer to inquiry or those who wish to refresh their understanding of the approach and update their pedagogy.
This highly practical, interactive day will explore the following questions:
Come along and enjoy inquiring into inquiry!
Participants will leave with a treasure trove of strategies, resources and insights into the use of a quality, inquiry based approach to teaching.
About the workshop
The learning landscape is rapidly changing. For teachers in the 21C, adapting to this changing landscape requires new ways of thinking and new instructional strategies that really build students' capacity as learners. An inquiry approach has long been recognized as a powerful way to equip students with the skills, strategies and dispositions needed for independence and creativity in learning. The Australian Curriculum also recognizes the need to engage students in active exploration and promotes the development of inquiry skills in history, science, geography and other areas. Contemporary inquiry practices, however, go beyond the "unit of work" and weave their way across the curriculum. Quality inquiry teaching helps both teachers and students navigate their way through abundant information, rapidly changing technologies, shifting community priorities and the need for both personalized AND collaborative learning.
Through interactive tasks, viewing of videos, work samples and planners as well as access to resources and research-based strategies participants explore the following questions ...
• How can we create classrooms where inquiring into LEARNING is central to all we do?
• How can we use an inquiry approach across the curriculum?
• How can we personalize inquiry for students while maintaining a manageable routine?
• What frameworks and scaffolds can we use to 'anchor' student learning and guide our practice?
• How can we create contemporary contexts for real inquiry into relevant questions for students?
• How can quality thinking routines and strategies help build capacity for learning?
• How do we ensure we involve students in negotiating aspects of their learning while maintaining clear learning intentions and meeting curriculum expectations.
• How can we use technologies to engage students in authentic inquiries and to build our own personal professional inquiry networks.
Through this 2 day workshop, participants will gain:
• A deeper understanding of how to use contemporary, inquiry based approaches in the classroom
• A broader repertoire of quality teaching strategies and techniques to help build students' skills as inquirer
• Greater familiarity with and understanding of a model for designing powerful units of inquiry with conceptual underpinnings
• Strategies for planning and teaching that encourage students to become increasingly independent as inquirers
• Ideas for assessing growth in students' understandings and skills in the context of inquiry
• Opportunities for reflection, collaboration and planning
• Knowledge of the resources (particularly on line) available to support teaching and learning through inquiry
Register a Group & Save
Register 5 or more delegates and pay $530 per person
Registration 8.30am – 9.00am Seminar 9.00am – 3.00pm
Click on Seminar title for full details
|Inquiry Learning: What, Why and How?||Wed 08 March 23||NSW - Homebush - Waterview Convention Centre||$295.00|
|Powering Up Inquiry Learning in your Classroom||Tue 04 April 23||TAS - Hobart - C3 Convention Centre||$590 or Register 5 or more delegates and pay $530 per person|
|Inquiry Learning: What, Why and How?||Thu 27 July 23||QLD - St Lucia - Hillstone St Lucia||$295.00|
|Powering Up Inquiry Learning in your Classroom||Thu 03 August 23||SA - Glenelg Golf Club||$590 or Register 5 or more delegates and pay $530 per person|